in Washington City Paper's 2014 "Best of DC" Readers Poll
CDR VOLUNTEER POSITIONS
Arrows may not center when in edit mode. Once site is published, the arrow will be centered on the tab
When the site is published, this border and note will not show up.
Drag & drop your tab 1 content here
Anyone interested in volunteer for CDR should complete the following steps:
- Like us on Facebook to follow our page.
- Join our Volunteer Facebook Group.
- Join our E-mail List and check-off the "General Volunteering" list. We recommend that you also check-off the "General Interest" and "Metro DC Events" lists.
- Review the Short-Term, Mid-Level, and Leadership Positions listed in each tab in light of your interest level, availability, and particular skills and experience.
Drag & drop your tab 2 content here
Short-Term Opportunities (on an as-needed basis)
- Home Visit Reviewer: Screen an applicant’s home in your area on an as-needed basis subject to your availability (home visit instructions are provided).
- Merchandise/Information Table: We often need volunteers to man the merchandise table, which includes selling CDR shirts and other merchandise.
- Dog Handler: We often need reliable dog handlers that can show off our dogs at adoption and other events. Dog handlers should have completed the Dog Handler Training and should be able to make a commitment for the duration of the event.
- Transporter: If you have a car, a great way to help us is to volunteer to drive dogs from SC/NC/VA/MD/WV to Washington, DC.
- Photographer/Videographer: Photographers and videographers are always needed to take photos/videos of new dogs and at various CDR events. Please complete our Volunteer Photographer Form.
Drag & drop your tab 3 content here
- Adoption Counselor: We ask adoption counselors to commit to processing one application a week. Each application takes about 10 hours and can take up to three weeks from start to finish. If you're interested in helping a dog find its forever home, please apply using our Adoption Counselor Form.
- Adoption Event Coordinators: These coordinators organize and attend
the adoption events and answer basic questions about CDR and the foster
and/or adoption process. We ask that these volunteers be available to
attend at least one adoption event a month. Please fill out our Volunteer Interest Form to apply.
- Foster Application Processor: Our Foster Application Processors process applications by calling and/ or emailing references. They also conduct an interview call with each applicant to tell the applicant more about our foster program, and to ensure that the applicant is a good fit. We ask that our volunteers process at least one application a week. The entire position can be done remotely from your computer/phone. This position is usually less of a time commitment than serving as a Foster Assistant and can be a great to place to start. If interested, please apply using our Foster Assistant Form.
- Foster Assistant: Foster Assistants help match foster parents with dogs, coordinate pickups, serve as a point of contact for fosters, and provide support for foster families. Regular access to email is necessary. If interested, please apply using our Foster Assistant Form.
- Intake Volunteer: Be one of the first to meet our incoming dogs! This opportunity allows volunteers to meet the new dogs and get them checked in and acquainted with their new foster or adoptive parents. We ask that volunteers be available for at least one of the following shifts once a month: Friday from 8pm – 12am, Saturday from 3pm – 7pm, or Sunday from 2pm – 5pm. Because we are sometimes unsure of when the pups will arrive, we ask that volunteers who volunteer for Friday evenings be able to commit their evening. Intake Volunteers will need to go through a brief training. Please fill out our Volunteer Interest Form to apply.
- Shelter to Rescue Assistants: We currently rescue dogs from several counties. We need assistants for Bladen County (NC), Cleveland County (NC), Smyth County (VA), Pickens County (SC), and West Virginia shelters that are able to commit at least 10 hours a week to the position. The assistants fill out initial health forms, communicate with the vets, and talk to fosters. We also ask that this person be flexible throughout the day and be able to respond to emails and take phone calls when necessary. Please fill out our Volunteer Interest Form to apply.
- Fundraising Events Assistant: Works with the Fundraising Events Coordinator to plan and execute fundraising events from start to finish, including recruiting volunteers, publicizing the events, and ensuring the drop-off and pick-up of CDR supplies and merchandise. This work is periodic such that hours needed might be more before a larger event, but not as much on a weekly basis. Please fill out our Volunteer Interest Form to apply.
- Social Media Coordinators: Social Media Coordinators will promote CDR communications and available dogs through Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc. Coordinators must be available to post communications on a frequent basis. Please fill out our Volunteer Interest Form to apply.
- Sponsorship Assistant: Are you interested in recruiting and meeting with local businesses to sponsor City Dogs Rescue? While CDR has several wonderful sponsors now, we are always looking for more business sponsorships to help us grow. Please fill out our Volunteer Interest Form to apply.
- CFC Coordinator: CDR participates in the Combined Federal Campaign (“CFC”), which is the charitable giving program for federal employees. We are looking for 2 CFC Coordinators (federal employees preferred but not required), who will work each year on: handling CFC paperwork/ enrollment, finding CFC events for CDR to partake in, organizing volunteers and dogs for each event, and promoting CDR’s participation in the CFC. Most of the work for this position is from September – December each year. Please fill out our Volunteer Interest Form to apply.
- Grant Writer: Do you have grant writing experience? We are looking volunteers with grant writing experience to help us find potential grants and submit grant applications. Please fill out our Volunteer Interest Form to apply.
Drag & drop your tab 4 content here
Leadership Positions (minimum 10+ hours/week AND 1-year commitment)
- Website Coordinator: The Website Coordinator is responsible for keeping the website up-to-date. Please fill out our Leadership Volunteer Form to apply.
- Alumni Coordinator: The Alumni Coordinator is responsible for managing post-adoption issues and requires online office type work. This volunteer also provides assistance with a medical follow up for alumni. This includes following up to ensure that all puppies adopted are spayed/ neutered on time. In addition, the Alumni Coordinator plans the annual Alumni Party. Please fill out our Leadership Volunteer Form to apply.
Drag & drop content here